Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Close Shave

I helped Faith shave her legs for the first time the other night. It was over due. She had never cared about it before, but told me a couple of weeks ago she was reluctant to wear shorts because of the hair on her legs...

It was time.

Okay ladies, do you remember the first time you shaved your legs? I do. My mom was convinced I was too young. I think I was in the 6th grade.

I remember I was being teased by kids for my hairy legs.

Mom said, No. So I, fortunate enough to have a big sister, snagged a razor and went at it. I don't remember any major issues with the shaving, but I do know I didn't clean the tub out when I was done.

Mom found the remains in the tub and asked me if I had shaved. I can't remember if I said yes or no, but pretty sure I said no.

Always a memory that stuck with me. I always said I would let my girls shave whenever they wanted and told them that.

But I have to say it was a tough moment. It just seems so grown up. I know she is growing up, but until now I have been able to deny it a bit. This was much more tangible.

All that said, I was glad to share in it. Faith and I sitting on the side of the tub, Kylee sitting on the toilet seat behind us. Me teaching Faith the ins and outs of a smooth shave, and how not to nick yourself too badly. I am sorry that I stole that moment from my mom. And so glad that I got it.

Kristen

6 comments:

granny said...

Faith is growing into an amazing youg woman. It is so hard to believe that she is actually old enough to have hair on her legs. Wasn't it just yesterday that Mike was taking a picture of her picking a flower up at Snowy Mountain, with her hair up in a ponytail and clutching a babydoll? I must be getting old :)

Renee said...

Wow! Sarah and I just had the same conversation this week!! Can you beleive it!! Our girls are growing up so fast! She asked me if we could shave her legs together before she leaves for Charleston (Middle school camp) Camp is in 4 weeks so I guess I was streching out the time just a little! I couldn't be more proud of my girls as I am sure you are with yours as well. You know Kristen it was you who taught me the importance of holding my girls in High esteem. Children seem to rise to what you beleive about them! Thanks for the wisdom:)

Anonymous said...

Good for you letting her shave when she asked. I too was told that I was too young to shave and was left mortified with hairy legs in shorts. Ughhh.
A.J.

Jennifer said...

I think it's so great that you take a moment like that and make it a great daughter-mom moment and not something that would create a fight. Way to choose your battles, Kristen, and to not even see it as a battle, but a chance to bond with your daughter. You're a great mom, no question about it.

Jennifer said...

oh, and i forgot to mention that i started shaving in 3rd grade....yes, i was the girl kids made fun of for hairly legs.....dark, thick hair...never pretty. My mom thought it was better to let me shave than to deal with wounds from being teased and mocked.

Anonymous said...

I just helped Sarah shave her legs this morning. She was also embarrassed to wear shorts etc... I also thank God for the moment with her!
Love you!
Kristen Jordan