Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Orders Up!!

One of the many cools things about schooling our kids at home is the sense of independence I see them developing.

Their lessons for the week are largely self guided and because of this, they have learned to be very self-motivated.

Since they are home with me they are responsible for things that other children, who go to a traditional school, may not have the time to do.

For example, they all do their own laundry. Even the boys, who have been doing their own laundry now for about two years. They do a great job and work together to get it done. They sometimes choose to put it off, but quickly learn that that is not a good idea when they are down to one pair of underwear each, and the washer is being used by someone else that day :)

Another household duty that they participate in, that's a little more fun, is cooking. All four of them have become quite self-sufficient when it comes to kitchen work.

A couple of weeks back I hurt my neck/back, and literally couldn't move off the couch. Faith planned to make bake potato soup for dinner and I asked Kylee and Seth to bake a loaf of bread. They made the dough by themselves, rolled it out, let it rise, and baked it. I am pretty sure I couldn't have made a loaf of bread when I was 10 or even 12 years old!

And at lunch one of Seth's favorite things to do it take everyone's order and make them their lunch. This is often very complicated and involves hot lunches. Okay, who am I kidding, it ALWAYS involves hot lunches, my kids will only eat cold sandwiches if there is no other option :)

So about 10 minutes before lunch he runs around the house taking down everyone's orders and then hangs the sheet of paper from the microwave as he gets out his griddle to prepare these culinary masterpieces. He often has a sou chef by his side to do the side work, and help with clean up. Their cooperation is amazing, when they are doing something they enjoy.

I think his lunch time chefery (I just made that word up!) is awesome. Not only does it teach him to cook, manage a task, and work with others, but it also shows his sweet servant heart.

Kristen

No comments: