Monday, April 11, 2011

Time For a Change

Well, it's been kind of quiet around here.

And when I say "here" I mean, blog-here, not house-here.

Lots going on,  not sure where to start.

And... I've had a bad attitude, so I thought I would keep it to myself.

So, now that I am mostly out of my funk, I thought I would write a little.

I think I will start with the home schooling situation.

So, a few months back I said we were going to go and talk to the principal of the local high school about potentially sending Faith to school part-time.

We did.

Unfortunately the offer they had for us wasn't good.  Part-time was really full-time, with no diploma at the end.

Mike, Faith, and I decided to pray seperatly about whether she should go, full time, not-part-time-part time, or stay home. 

Then I went into a funk.

I couldn't put words to it, but sending her full time just didn't seem like the answer.  But I knew something needed to change.  And I realized, through the whole move thing, that California-homeschool-Kristen, hasn't been the most fun home school mom. 

I have been really focused on getting us set up here.  And on top of that, it was also Faith's first year in high school. 

So just like I freaked out when Kylee started kindergarten, I kinda freaked out. 

Okay, I totally freaked out. 

No kinda about it. 

I over loaded her with work, and provided very little fun, excitement, or opportunity for love of learning.    

Anyways, all this to say it was a major wake-up call to me.  I changed up our school schedule, still challenging, but with more hands on activities, shaped it to fit their interests and skills, and I am looking into co-op type groups for the fall.

One cool thing in the middle of all this was, I got a call from God.

Yeah, I said God.

See I was praying and crying and feeling like a pretty lame-o mom, when I finally just asked God to give me a call and tell me what to do about my Faith's schooling.

That's when the phone rang.

I kid you not.

A lady called me.  Faith's friend's mom.  She called to ask me about one thing, but started the conversation out about home schooling.  After she told me how great she thought it was that I home school, I felt compelled to tell her about our week, about the school visit and the decision we were trying to make.

After listening to me she said,"Kristen, I am telling you, don't send her to that school."

I about started to cry.  I told her I had asked God to call me and tell me what to do, and this seemed like an answered prayer.  She told me some things that I really needed to hear, and since her daughter goes to the school in question, it meant a lot.

Anyways, long story, long, we are going to continue schooling all our kids at home, with some changes for the fall.

And I learned an important lesson:  I am not perfect.

There, I said it! 

I try really hard but, I make lots of mistakes.  And the cool thing is, there is no "too late".  Sometimes you just have to acknowledge your mistake, ask for forgiveness, make the change, and move on...

Kristen

1 comment:

mom said...

Honey, you are an amazing mom! I have watched you in action. No one is perfect-except Jesus-thank goodness! But you do a great job. Your children are decent God-loving human beings-pretty successful, in my opinion.