Friday, December 14, 2007

Just Kylee Taking a Math Test

Here is one of the many things I love about home schooling our kids. This is Kylee taking her math test. I came down the stairs and found her lying on her back in the sun doing her work. I love that they can be themselves and aren't restricted to do things the "normal" way. BTW, Kylee is almost done with her 4th grade Saxon Math book with only a few more chapters to go. The beauty of having them at home is that I work with them every day, one on one, so I know that they understand the concepts fully before they move on to something else. And I think that is why they are all ahead of their grade level on the work they do. Not because we push them, because I don't, but because they get individual attention every day and when I see a problem I stop and we work on it until it isn't a problem any more.

Kristen

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you home school my grandchildren. They are all very intelligent and well adjusted-great kids!! Great mom!! Love you HOney!

Christopher Engelsma said...

how has saxon math been for you? we are thinking of using it. any recommendations?

kristen said...

You know, there is good and bad to Saxon. We started using it because I got the third grade math book for 10 cents. I don't recommend picking curriculum this way. But I thought we would try it and see how it goes, figuring we could always change to something else. I think I would hate it if we couldn't go at our own pace. I think it is geared towards traditional schooling and we are anything but that. But we make it work for us and I do like the way it explains and presents steps to more difficult math. WE have used it now for 3-6 grade and I have not been unhappy with it.
Hope that helps.

Kristen

Christopher Engelsma said...

that is kind of the situation we are in. I got nearly all the saxon books from bookmooch.com. now I sorta feel I should use them.
i still will have to buy answer keys and solutions manuals.

Kathryn Egly said...

That really is the beauty of homeschool. 99.9 percent of public school children are NOT afforded the opportunity to lay in the sun to take a test or work one on one with a teacher until it is thoroughly understood.

Anonymous said...

Look at the poor kid. She's so stressed out she can't even sit up straight. :)

Good times.