Tuesday, September 11, 2007

New School Year begins

Yesterday was the first day of our new school year. It went pretty smooth. We had all instruments practiced, and all school assignments completed before 2:30. I think for the first day that is great. This curriculum is pretty reading intensive and I was a little worried about that, being that one of my children is not so much a lover of reading. But she did great and kept up with the schedule. I don't think I did a great job of bringing around the reason we are starting with Ancient Egypt. But I will do that today. It is supposed to get them to understand what it was like when Moses was alive and understand the culture he was living in.

We had Salmon last night, okay so the Egyptians didn't necessarily eat salmon but fish was a staple so I thought maybe it tied in. Here is the recipe for it

Salmon about 2 pounds
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
3-6 tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/4 teaspoons dill weed
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients except salmon. remove 1/2 cup to a saucepan. simmer until heated through. Set aside remaining mixture for basting. Sprinkle salmon with lemon pepper. Place on grill with skin side down. Grill covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Brush with the reserved brown sugar mixture. Grill 10- 15 minutes longer basting occasionally. Serve with the warmed sauce.

It really is so good. The kids all ate it and said it tasted like chicken. Tonight we are having curry with lentils. You see where I am going here? Yes, Lentils being a major staple and crop for the Ancient Egyptians. And my whole family loves them so bonus!!!

Oh, and one more fun thing!! Next week we are going to mummify a chicken!!! I will tell you more about it later!

Kristen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

K-
I can't believe you ate Salmon!!!
Todd

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read about your experience with chicken mummification. Good luck!
-A.J. :0)