Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Tale of Two Walmarts

The Walmart in Glasgow, Kentucky is different in a lot of ways. But here is a brief dramatization to explain the major difference. For your own enjoyment you may want to do a thick southern accent for the Walmart employee in Ky.

Walmart Chicago suburbs today-

Chicago Walmart employee- "Hi, How are you today?"

Me- "Good thank you."

silence while doing her job.

Chicago Walmart employee- "That will be $27.89."

Chicago Walmart employee- "Thanks have a nice day."

Me- "You too!"

I leave.

Walmart Glasgow, Ky last week-

Glasgow Walmart employee - "Hi There! How is the weather outside today?"

Me- "It's nice."

Glasgow Walmart employee- "OH MY GAWD!!! This Peach has my name on it!! Can you believe this peach has my name on it???!!! Can I have the stick'a off a your peach?"

Me- "Sure."

Walmart employee removing tag off my peach and sticking it on her name tag- "My name is Zimmer, ya just don't see my name on peaches!!"

Me- "No, I'm sure you don't."

Glasgow Walmart employee Zimmer- "Oh artichokes, you know these things have little spikes on them, so be careful. You would be surprised at the people who don't know they have spikes. How do you eat your artichokes?"

Me- "Oh, usually with butter or mayonnaise."

Glasgow Walmart employee Zimmer- (with a dreamy look) "I wonda what they would taste like friiiiiied?"

(Just a note here, you have the zucchini, mushroom, potato, okra, pickle, green bean and even the twinkie can we just go ahead and leave the poor artichoke unfried?)

Glasgow Walmart employee Zimmer- "Okay that will be $20.56....Oh My GAWD she looks just like that girl, that one actress. Ya know that one actress?"

Me- "No."

Walmart employee Zimmer- "The one lady, from Joan of Arc, she looks just like her but miniature ya know?"

Me- "Okay, thanks bye now."

Walmart employee Zimmer- "Okay bye now, have a good day." (speaking to the next customer) "So how's the weather outside?"

Kristen

7 comments:

JonesGardenBlog said...

Okay now that was funny.

Walmart employee in Gilbert, AZ:

Wal Emp: (no greeting just scans items with a hateful, scorn-filled look on their face)

(after scanning you items)

Wal Emp: "$22.50"
Me: (just the sound of me swiping my card and hitting the "No" button when asked if my cashier greeted me today)

I put my own bags into the cart as the cashier fails to greet the next person.

I just love Wallie World.

Anonymous said...

One thing about the south-everyone talks to you! Even if you would rather not!

Anonymous said...

I believe that is what you call southern hospitality. Even Walmart has it. Too funny.
Are your Walmart employees missing as many teeth as ours are in the boon docks?
-A.J. :0)

Bill Curley said...

What is being discussed here is the basic fabric of what made (makes) this Country great. Wal Mart apparently is one of the best showpieces for that expression. Globe, now shows a similar pattern with a strong mixture of different cultures being present. We see outgoing Mexican people greetings; rather individualistic Anglo Saxon stoic business only attitudes; Native American shyness; California coarseness, and even some down home cowboy attitudes. Not to mention some very young and inexperienced kids masquerading as adults who do not know how to interact. Hopefully, WalMart will not become styalized and attempt to mold their employees into one form.

Kathryn Egly said...

Funny!!!

Anonymous said...

Fry it all!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, YES THEY ARE!!!! How does that happen nationwide?