Thursday, June 26, 2008

Discrimination?

I am pretty irritated right now. I am going to have to vent a little and if I am off base with this then I am sure someone will let me know:)

I was alerted to a new water park opening up in my area. I was informed that they were having a reading program that you could sign your kids up for and they would receive a voucher to get into the park for free.

So I signed up. I filled out their on-line form one for each of my kids. The form asked for our school name. I listed ours as home school. Funny that I had a feeling this was going to be a problem.

I waited and waited and never received anything. Until about a month ago .

I received an email from this water park saying that they had such a great response to their reading program and the vouchers had been mailed out and had to be used by the 3rd of July.

We had not received our vouchers, assuming this was an error, I sent them an email, in response to their email letting them know we had not received our vouchers.

Their response was that they were going to check into it. That was two weeks ago. I just sent them another email and they responded with this email:

We have no record that you signed up. Do you have a copy of what you sent?

That's it. No Dear Mrs. Jones. No signed Mr. Sneedly. Nothing. Just do you have proof that you signed up.

Okay seriously, this is ridiculous. First off they got my email address when I signed up! They sent me an email saying that the vouchers had been sent out! Could they not track that down? Also what is the big deal? Is this really worth losing potential customers? And if you are going to respond to my email at least have the decency to put your name on it so I can respond to a person!!!

I kindly wrote them back, noting some of these facts, as well as asking them if my kids did not receive their vouchers because they were not part of a traditional school, but a home school.

It will be interesting to see how they resolve this. I will be sure to release the water parks name as soon as it is resolved.

Kristen

5 comments:

JonesGardenBlog said...

Well, if your water parks are anything like our water parks, then the person who sent out the email is probably 16 at best and was just annoyed that they had to write whole words instead of just texting you from their cell phone.

Bill Curley said...

On line registration or activity should always be documented with appropriate copies either by providing a "CC" copy to yourself; or print a copy to either a PDF file or your printer. Then, when asked, simply send a copy of your original request. A printed copy could even be copied into your computer with your scanner. No scanner, might be a good idea to get a very inexpensive one.

The computer revolution in this country has spawned and expanded the modern cult of lack of consideration and less than cordial relations.

Anonymous said...

We are a homeschooling family in the area and did sign up for that reading program with the water park. I received my passes weeks ago, so I do not think it is a homeschool discrimination issue. Sounds like a 16 year old-texting issue, that was funny :)

kristen said...

Anonymous, I am so glad to hear that. I think since I have experienced clear discrimination in other establishments when bringing our home schooled kids to an event or planned field trip, I am sometimes quick to jump on it. I would definitely feel better to know that it was just a poorly run business than a case of our application being discarded because we aren't a "real school" And I am sure you have heard that before.

I have still been writing back and forth with them but they still haven't handled the issue appropriately.

Anonymous said...

Call 'em. Phones always work better when you're at this point. Good luck!