Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cakes!

A few months ago our printer died. It was very sad. But we were blessed that same day with an even better one! It even has a scanner! So a good friend of mine suggested that I scan in some of the first cakes I made and include them on a blog post of all the cakes. So I scanned and searched through disks and tried to include as many cakes as I could. These aren't all of them but it is a start.

Elmo was the first birthday cake I ever made. Faith's first birthday. He got made several times, so I only included him once.








Same with Tigger. I was still forking out dough buying pans.










By the time I got to Barney I think I was desperate. I couldn't find a pan and decided to take on making it free hand. Not a great picture. But I came up with the idea of printing out a picture, drawing it on the cake with tooth picks then frosting in the outline. That is what I have been doing ever since.









This was an early attempt at free hand. Not so good.











This one was another attempt at free hand, still rough, but a little better.











Then came the multitude of Barbie cakes. This actually was a pan that came with a plastic Barbie. It got used A LOT!









Same pan, different Barbie.










Then there was the stand up Barbie. There have been a few of these as well.






Dragon Tails- is that show even on any more? I am sure I am breaking about a hundred copy right rules by copying their images, but I am not selling them so is that okay? If not then we will say it is not from Dragon Tails but, lets see, Dragon Stories.





This was one of my first attempts at a non-kid cake. Not a very good picture, but it was fun to make!






Another non kid cake. I really didn't know what I was doing here, but a friend of ours was getting re-married so I made her a cake for her reception. For free. I would never have charged her for it!






Another free hand picture, I found the picture in one of Faith's books and drew it on the cake.







Same cake but on a heart.







Then I discovered Familyfun.com. They really have great cake ideas.









Next was the care bear stage. Care Bear Cake 1.











And Care Bear Cake 2.









Seth wanted a alligator for his third birthday. I must have gotten the idea from somewhere, but I don't really remember where.










Ah, strawberry shortcake. I remember this one was tough. I drew her on the cake but there is something about pictures that are frontal pictures, they are just difficult. It is a perspective thing.











Winnie the Pooh! I drew him and frosted him. Not too hard.







Scooby, this was the year Joshi was born so the girls shared this cake.








Star Wars. This was the cake that made everyone sneeze. I made a cake cut it up lumped it all together, frosted it then covered it with about a box of crushed graham crackers. Yeah, it was sneezy.





This was the first cake I made for the Mitchell boys. They got a little black labor-doodle for their birthday's, Maisey, and so we made this cake. We filled the bowl with cocoa puffs and wrote their names in cocoa puffs around the square cake.









Also for the Maisey birthday.








This was the twins birthday cake for this year. Super easy and fun, got it off of Familyfun.com.








This was for Faith's sleepover party last year. The girls were Twinkies!






Here is the wicked cake for this year. Again it was done free hand.









We had quite a few ice cream cakes in the last few years. This was one of them. Seth got to join the basketball team for his birthday last year, so I made him a basketball cake.






This was Jackson's football cake this year. Believe it or not it was one of the more difficult ones.








Free hand Larry and Bob. Also hard because of the dimension issue.









And finally the pool cake for Kylee's birthday this year.







Kristen

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just amazing! I don't know how you get it done. I want to be like you when I grow up. Oh. Too late. I'm older than you. Drat.

Anonymous said...

I wish I was as creative as you are with the cakes. I made a number of the winnie the pooh cakes from a pan that you just put icing stars all over, but you have made some amazing cakes. The one for Grandma and Grandpa's 50th wedding party was beauitful!!

Anonymous said...

There are some good ones in there. I laugh at the tigger one trying to get that black icing to be black not gray. I think my favorite is the Wicked cake and then the sleeping kids.

Leeanne said...

There are kids down the street from us, and I keep trying to think of the right birthday presents for them, something inexpensive but cute...I think a few cupcakes with great decor could be just the thing. Thanks for the great ideas and inspiration!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! I can't believe the cakes you have done. - Kristen Jordan

Renee said...

Love these cakes!! Kristen you are awesome! I remember a few cakes. I also remember you coming to my house and helping me with a stand alone barbie cake for Sarah and a Veggie Tale for Kyndall! Thanks! The Yummy part about these cakes is that they don't just look great...They are Yummy fantastic too!!