Thursday, May 17, 2007

Crafts, Crafts and more Crafts!

This Native American unit has been so craft intensive. We have made Navajo rugs, head warbonnets, pottery, and Faith sewed a doll like the one I got when I was a little girl living in Arizona. Today we are talking about the False Face Society and we will be using plates, cups, and paper mache to make masks.

I think it is going to be a huge mess. But I think they will enjoy it and I am sure they will remember the lesson about the Iroquois people. That is what matters.

Now that we have talked about a lot of the tribes of North America and some of the important chiefs these last two weeks, next week they will be expected to take what they have learned and feed it back to me. They will have the next week to research more thoroughly a topic from this unit and pull together a research paper. Seth obviously will just pick a topic and write what he learned about it. Kylee and Faith will be expected to dig a little deeper. They have already picked their topics at the beginning of this unit so that they could be thinking about it this whole time.

I did our Japan unit this way and Faith wrote the best paper.

I have my big giant Sunday newspaper just waiting to be shredded.

Here I go.

Kristen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Little Mama School teacher-go. Your school sounds so fun!!