Wednesday, April 9, 2008

WICKED

Wow!!!

What an incredible evening!!!

I haven't been to the theater since I saw The Phantom in Phoenix, when I was pregnant with Seth.

And I love live theater! I was a humanities major you know.

But last night was awesome. I loved everything about it.

Of course, dressing up was so fun!! I got to wear my cute flippy dress I bought for our cruise two years ago that I have only worn once. And I made Mike wear slacks and a button down shirt. I told him no dress jeans!!! And yes over half the men there were wearing jeans.

The Ford theater on its own is something to see. It is breathtaking. I could really spend quite a bit of time just looking at the building. It was opened originally in 1926, as a movie palace. It operated as such until business declined and it was finally closed in 1981. But fortunately, for all of us, it was renovated and reopened in 1998 as the Ford Theater for the Performing Arts. Fascinating building.

As for Wicked I have only two regrets. One that I didn't read the book first. I have heard that the book is even better than the play.

I can't imagine.

And two, that I didn't take Faith with me. She would have loved it!!! We may have to go for her birthday.

The kids did great. Our fabulous babysitter had everyone watch American Idol, read for half and hour and in bed and lights out by 8:30. Great job Faith!!! This was her longest stint, but our neighbor was on call and knew that she was watching the others while we were away. I was a little on the fence about her doing it but she wanted to do it and she did a fantastic job. And it was her birthday present to me so it was free!!!!!

So if you end up in Chicago see Wicked, you won't be sorry.

Kristen

2 comments:

Leeanne said...

Faith is going to put me out of a job! No fair. :(
Just teasing! I'm so glad you saw Wicked - I got a random chance to see it when a friend won tickets last year, and it was amazing! I sing to it in the car now.

Anonymous said...

I read the book 2 years ago and thought it was very strange yet addictive. I'd love to see how they make it into a musical. I've heard that it is "loosely" based on the book. Please read it and let us know what you think. Please keep your fingers crossed that it comes back to Phoenix and we're able to get some tickets. The last time it was here it sold out incredibly fast. With my luck it will come back just as the baby is due...
-A.J. :0)