Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Under the Weather

So I have been a little under the weather the last couple of days. But a couple of great things came out of it.

First and most importantly my kids rock!! I have to brag here but I am not exaggerating. They did so great.

We are pretty consistent as far as their schooling goes. I use the same planning sheet for them every week and I work on it a good part of every Saturday. I plan out all their stuff for the week and print out any worksheets they may need and leave them in a pile with their books they need to read for the week.

It is pretty self guided. That has always been my goal. From the start of this I have always wanted to get to the point where the kids were in charge of their schooling. I am the director and they are the managers. And this week I think they really proved themselves.

For the last two days as I have laid on the couch in a semi attentive state, they have gotten their work out and done it in a reasonable time, correctly. Kylee and Seth even started their extra project, a model Greek temple, with little help from me. Faith got all her work done and even went and babysat for three hours for our neighbor down the street. And in the midst of it all Kylee made home made rolls for dinner last night and helped to make a big pot of home made chicken soup! (I chopped the veg. and chicken, I am not that brave yet) And the house isn't trashed!

I am pretty proud of them.

Another less exciting, but still awesome, fact is that I was able to finish two books over the last two days. Right before I got sick I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See which all I can say about it is READ IT! I loved it. It isn't terribly long which was nice because I have been reading all of these really long books lately and I needed a quick read.

Anyways, the first book I finished this week was Save Myself From Me by Brian "Head" Welch. It is an amazing story. He was the lead guitarist for Korn and has a dramatic conversion story. The last few chapters get a little weird for me but I think he is just a very intense person in everything he does and that includes what he does for God.

The second book I read was Sex God by Rob Bell. I have been wanting to read this for a while because I love Rob Bell and his writing style. Velvet Elvis rocked my world. If you haven't read it, read it. I think I am still absorbing Sex God. I don't think I could give a fair review of it. So read it! Especially if you are raising kids, in a marriage, in a relationship, or single. (does that cover everyone?)

Okay, the kids did a great job but I have some extra disinfecting to do today!

Kristen

3 comments:

JonesGardenBlog said...

Sweet. Can you send Faithy over to our house to babysit?

We pay well. :)

Anonymous said...

Can I put in an order for the rolls and soup?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.