Thursday, May 1, 2008

Winslow Homer

Tomorrow we are going on a field trip to Chicago to go to the Chicago Art Institute. We have had this trip planned for quite some time. And I was blessed with some tickets to the Winslow Homer exhibit that is there right now.

Funny that I was a Humanities major in college, studied art history and all, and I really didn't know a lot about Winslow Homer. I wasn't much into the early American Artists. But, Faith and I did some research on him today and found out that he did many, many drawings for Harpers Weekly during the civil war!

See the whole Lincoln tie. I am pretty excited about that.

Last week I tied the visit to the capitol into us studying Rome- you know the whole democracy thing and now here we have an artist who spent time drawing Lincoln and the Civil War.

I love it when things come together.

Kristen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you take the three ARH classes at MCC w/Drachler? She loooooooooved Homer!
-A.J. :0)

kristen said...

Yeah see the key words were- I was not into Early American artists. I must have blocked it all out. But after seeing the exhibit it was very interesting. Still not my fav.