Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cukes

I love to garden. I didn't say I was very good at it but I love to do it. But my favorite thing to grow isn't flowers or shrubs, I love to grow things that you can eat. There is something satisfying about growing a plant that is not just aesthetically pleasing but provides food. You can't get better than that.

There wasn't a lot of growing of anything when we lived in Arizona. We were really lucky to have a small patch of grass with a couple of dessert plants around it. But when we moved it North Carolina I discovered that i really like to play in the dirt.

My first couple of veg. gardens didn't turn out so great. But the third one was awesome. For me. Maybe not for an experienced farmer but for me I had a pretty nice yield. There, in NC, we had a couple of acres to work with so I had plenty of room to mess around with gardening. When we moved to Il our little suburban lot definitely was not big enough for a big old southern garden. But, I think I have made the best of it. WE have cukes, onions, jalapenos, tomatoes, green peppers, strawberries, cantaloupe, two apple trees, one Cherry tree, dill, cilantro, rosemary, oregano, and LOTS of mint. Just about my entire back yard landscape is edible. And it is all so pretty right now!

Things are finally starting to come in but the cukes are the big producer this season. I don't know what happened to them but I can't keep up with them. There are only two plants but there are tons of cucumbers!! And they are big and out of hand! Mom Jones just sent me a recipe for grandma's awesome relish and I think while the girls are gone I am going to be making some. These are the ones I just picked today and I can't tell you how many we have eaten already!!



Kristen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Either those boys have shrunk or those cukes are HUGE!! Sounds like you have a "green" thumb, Sweet Girl!!

Anonymous said...

Go for the zuchinni! B and I have been LOVING the grilled zuchinni lately. A little olive oil and creole seasoning... awesome.

Anonymous said...

Can I have some? My kids love cukes. Addictively so.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!! YUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMM!
One down, one to go.