Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mr. Todd Memories

So after we told the kids this morning about Mr. Todd and cried together as a family, we cleaned up and went to breakfast. We wanted to have a celebration of his fabulous life and the time we spent with him.

These are some of the facts we came up with, thought that maybe it would give you a peek into the fun guy he was.

I started off with a night two years ago when we were camping and Mr. Todd took them on a snipe hunt. This was no ordinary snipe hunt, this was the mother of all snipe hunts! Trust me you have not heard the snipe story told until you had heard Mr. Todd tell it. Who knew that snipe calls change depending on your region? Luckily Mr. Todd knew all the calls. I will never forget sitting by the fire with Paula and laughing as we listened to our two men and seven children calling for snipes. These kids totally bought it. That is how convincing he was. After they got back to the campsite they had "caught" one. Mr. Todd had stuffed a big raw hide dog bone in a sock and shoved it in a bag. The kids were so excited, some where making plans to keep it and where they were going to keep it. Let's just say none of the children talked to Mr. Todd for about an hour when he unveiled the bone. Oh, except the littlest boys, they wanted to go on another snipe hunt!

Seth mentioned his favorite was Agatha Hagatha. Mr. Todd had made a brown bag puppet and named her Agatha Hagatha. She had all sorts of adventures and she was very annoying. Her voice was a Mr. Todd classic. At one point the kids made an anti- Agatha Hagatha to combat her.

Kylee's said everything was fun with Mr. Todd. Which was just true. He was such a big kid, and everyone wanted to be around him. We also had fun remembering how he spoiled her always but most recently when they had taken all of the kids, including mine to a baseball game. He told Paula when he walked in that if Kylee wanted this stuffed monkey that had the team logo on it he was going to buy it for her. Let's just say Kylee had another monkey to add to her collection when she got home that night.

Faith mentioned our sledding trips. Mr. Todd especially loved sledding. Who doesn't enjoy standing on a cold hill while the wind is blowing at top speed, soaking wet, numb from head to toe while you slide down a hill just to walk back up? Well Mr. Todd loved it! Or at least he was very convincing that he was having a great time.

Joshi said he loved that Mr. Todd loved playing drums. He was sad that he didn't have a chance to tell him that he is going to be buying some drums very soon (thanks Mr. Brad :). I told him he could tell Ms. Paula and she would rejoice with him. He also loved the way Mr. Todd would use Joshi as weights.

Mike of course mentioned all of the many holidays, vacations, meals, games, and fun that we have had with Mr. Todd.

He was a great friend, and will be greatly missed.

Kristen

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard the snipe hunt story and it is a classic. Todd was so much fun to hang with. I wish I had been able to more. I am so honored to have known Todd. He is the real deal. He may be Home with God but he is forever alive in my memories and heart.I know heaven has another great drummer.
Can you just imagine the jam session they are having.
I want to Thank you and Mike for letting Terri and I get to know the Mitchells more. I am praying for you guys and know God will comfort us as only he can!
Davey Davey

Anonymous said...

God bless you all! What a wonderful way to celebrate a precious friend and brother. I wish more people would do that with their children. They will miss Todd terribly, but you have helped them remember the great things you all loved about him. Maybe in some small way, your precious children can impart that to his precious children.

JonesGardenBlog said...

I never got to meet the man. But talking with you guys and reading your blog posts I really feel like I knew him. I went through your posts yesterday that had "FRIENDS" and saw a ton of posts about Todd and Paula.

Todd even commented about the ladies just getting lucky at cards. I thought, "Now that's a man after my own heart! Busting Kristen's chops about a game of cards!"

Renee said...

Loved reading your stories about Todd! I have never met the Mitchell family however any friend of yours is a friend of mine. Love you Kristen. We will continue to pray for the Mitchell family, Paula and the boys. Also for you and Mike as you grieve with your friends. Much Love
I too read the stories in your friends label from your blog. What a special friendhip you have with this family! I know they will need you now more than ever.

Mandy Corley said...

We are so sorry to read the news about Todd. We will continue to pray for Paula and for you and Mike. I am so thankful that Paula has you guys! Hang in there.

Leeanne said...

I typically have a hard time picturing people in heaven, I think because there's too much of the "fluffy white clouds, angels in halos" stuff left over from Sunday school. But I can completely picture Todd showing Jesus all around the drumset, like, "Hear that, Jesus? That's the hi-hat!" And then rocking out in worship.
I love you guys, and pray for you always.

Anonymous said...

I never had a chance to "offically" meet Tood but I certainly remember him up there jamming with the rest of the band. I also have seen Paula around the Orchard and have certainly said hello to her. I know that I am just another member of the congregation, but I just want to say that I am deeply saddened by such a terrible loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you Mike and Kristen and certainly with Paula and the boys in such a hard time. Hugs hugs to all of you. Love Lots - Dena & Kirk Andersen

Anonymous said...

I never had a chance to "offically" meet Tood but I certainly remember him up there jamming with the rest of the band. I also have seen Paula around the Orchard and have certainly said hello to her. I know that I am just another member of the congregation, but I just want to say that I am deeply saddened by such a terrible loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you Mike and Kristen and certainly with Paula and the boys in such a hard time. Hugs hugs to all of you. Love Lots - Dena & Kirk Andersen

Unknown said...

This is a great story (especially the snipe story). It reminds me of a story myself. I am Todd's oldest nephew and he as well as the other uncles took me snipe hunting years ago in Gatlenberg, TN and yes there are many different types of snipes and many different calls!!!

Anonymous said...

Kristen,
Thank you so much for capturing a piece of "who" Todd is in your blog. I was actually there sniping with my nephew Justin! I remember the invention of the Alabama Brown Snipe call and the Gregorian Snipe call...
Embarrasingly enough, today was the first day I had the strength/ courage/ will to actually read some of his blogs. Please all continue to pray for Paula and the boys.
-Brother Scott

kristen said...

Scott! I am so glad that you left a comment! Trust me when I say we have not stopped praying for Paula and the boys and all of you. We miss Todd so much everyday, but I also know our sadness doesn't compare to yours. I am also praying for your new baby who is close to making his appearance, I am sure! Love you guys and hope to see you guys soon!

Kristen