Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Age Old Problem

If you are a parent of children, who can talk, I am sure you can relate to what I am about to write.

Today, after we had finished up our school time I was having everyone do a quick tidy when I came into my little office space and found my new trash can filled. I got a bag and began dumping it when I noticed that there were pencil shavings in my trash can. Now, this may seem like a small thing to you but I can't tell you how much I despise pencil shavings. And when I bought my new little trash can for my office space I asked the kids individually to please not put their pencil shavings in my trash can, they can dump them in the big trash can in the kitchen.

So, I was a little annoyed that this had happened. It now needed to be cleaned out. I called the kids together and asked who had done it.

Nobody.

Of course. I could have told you that was who did it before they said it.

Do you ever just get so tired of this "nobody". I know it is nothing new. I remember being a kid. I remember reading the family circus cartoons and the ghost "nobody" did everything.

But I'd had it with nobody this time. I was pretty sure I knew who the culprit was but wanted him to admit it. So I told them they were all grounded until the person who did, admits to it.

I thought I was pretty sly here. I knew the one who I suspected wouldn't be able to stand for this and would come forward. Or so I thought.

The next thing I hear is Joshi's little voice say,"Mommy, I did it." (yeah I am about 99% positive it wasn't him)

Oh no.

As they all stood around staring at me waiting to see what I would do I told him he was now the only one grounded for the day. He would have to go to his room and sit there.

This sucks. I know he didn't do it. Someone talked him into taking the fall and now he is being punished. This went totally wrong.

He is sitting in his room upstairs, crying. All because I tried to beat nobody.

Now what? Is this "Nobody" unbeatable?

Kristen

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Nobody loophole! Poor Josh. But next time he might not be so ready to take the fall for the real culprit? Maybe that is the silver lining?

JonesGardenBlog said...

Let me get this straight; your children left pencil shavings... IN the trash can.

...

...

And you are seeking to discipline them for this?

Could it be our expectations are a wee bit high?

Could it be our AR tendencies have gone... too far?

Two things.
____________________

Number one, way to take one for the team, Josh. Sorry buddy.

Number two, you need help. Lot's of it. Possibly medication.

kristen said...

See, I knew it would be taken that way Keith! No it isn't AR!!

Have you tried to clean pencil shavings out of the little garbage can with no bag? All I was asking was for them to be dumped in the one with the bag to eliminate the black pencil mark mess. Is that really asking too much?

And josh is taking this punishment way too well. He may have actually been the culprit....I could have been wrong.

And they wouldn't have been punished for putting the shavings in the trash can they would have just had to clean it out. It was the lying (saying he didn't do it) that he was punished for! I do take deception very seriously.

JonesGardenBlog said...

Okay, I'm with you on the deception thing.

BUT IT IS SO AN AR THING!!!!!

I think I'll buy all of the kids mechanical pencils for Christmas.

:)

Mike Jones said...

Hey I think you totally did the right thing. The "nobody did it" thing has been going on long enough. I think you have to take responsibility for the good and the bad.

We have great kids! People enjoy being around them and they have become very responsible... that doesn't happen by accident.

Oh and Keith... what's with the blog post for a comment?

Bill Curley said...

A few thoughts:
Josh is truly a heroic figure. It does not matter whether he did it or not! He now deserves special consideration for his actions.

The Parent is still in charge and their decisions should not be questioned unless there is evidence of extreme prejudice.

I might have done only one thing differently; all should have been grounded anyway.

Anonymous said...

Wow-heated discussions!! You did the right thing, Mom. "Nobody" will always be with you. Good boy, Joshi for fessin' up. If he didn't do it-the culprit should be feeling really bad-hopefully. I understand about the trash can-now you have to put it in the bathtub and try to get the pencil out of it. I love mechanical pencils, but the possibility of pencil lead getting on the carpet and being walked in is much more likely than with regular pencils. Your kids are amazing and Joshi will survive and not even hold a grudge about it. You know I just can't wait to see you all next week!! :)

Renee said...

This Noboddy needs to be aprehended! He travels the country!

I would trust your judgement anytime! :)