Thursday, October 25, 2007

Have You Ever Thought?

Have you ever just thought that maybe our society has gone a little over board on the whole safety seal thing.

Okay let me explain. Today as I was scrubbing the bathrooms and I got the new bleach bottle out, to rid the shower of the mystery smell that appears once every few months, I unscrewed the lid and low and behold there was a safety seal/tab.

That got me thinking. And I am sure there are some just exceptionally smart people out there that will probably have a great answer for this, but, what in the world are they trying to protect us from here? I mean it is BLEACH!!! We are not going to be ingesting it or rubbing it into our skin, washing our hair with it or soaking in it. What is it exactly that they are trying to prevent someone from adding to this bleach?

Just a thought.

Kristen

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the safety seal that you are speaking of but, do you remember the Dead Milkmen song?

Anonymous said...

I'm so bored I'm drinking bleach...

Bill Curley said...

Safety seals are not intended to protect you, the consumer. They are installed to protect the manufacturer from lawsuits. The most virulent form of safety protection devices appears to me to be from pill and medicine dispensers. (Remember the Tylonal[sp?] murder attempt)? Now, with the advent of terrorist scares, look for increased safety seal protections.

kristen said...

Jen, Oh my gosh that totally made me laugh! Yes now I do remember that song and a flood of others!

K.

Oh and thanks dad!!

kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have to say it...those safety seals are because of those rotten insurance people!

Anonymous said...

What about the insane warnings that companies have to put on their products? Caution the coffee you are about to consume is Hot? Duh.
But I was reading my cell phone manual and it said, no joke, no really,I'm serious,
DO NOT DRY YOUR CELL PHONE IN THE THE MICROWAVE!!!!!!!!!!
If someone is that stupid the judge should fine them for the companies court costs.

Anonymous said...

I really think that the biggest reason that you have those on the bleach is 1) so they will not leak in the store and 2) so no little kids will not get into it in the store-just my opinion. Like your dad said-to protect the company!