Monday, October 1, 2007

Reading Lists

Last school year we had reading sheets, for every 5 books they got a small reward and every 50 (for older), 100 (for younger), books they read they got a date with mom or dad. This was not such a great system for everyone. Great for Josh who could sit down and have 10 books at a sitting read to him. Great for Seth who was just starting to read and could complete a book rather quickly. Great for Faith who reads 5 books a week. Not so great for Kylee who read and read but just couldn't read as many books as the others.

So this time around I decided to do it by minutes instead. There are four goals and after each goal they will get a date with mom or dad.


So far the kids totals since we started our school year (we just started our fourth week of school this week) are:


Faith- 16 hours

Kylee- 13 hours 45 minutes

Seth- 11 hours 30 minutes

Joshi- 8 hours 15 minutes


I am totally blown away by them!! I knew Faith was reading a lot but I am so happy to see Kylee so motivated. They can not time any of their school reading it has to be all independent time reading. And let me tell you these totals are to the minute!!! They actually take the timer with them and time themselves!! Too funny!! I keep telling them they can round the times and they don't have to time themselves but they want it to be right on.


Kristen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Good idea to even it out.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud! These are some of my beautiful, smart, talanted grandchildren. Faith-praise God that you are a reader like your mama and granny. Kylee Hope-praise God that you are learning to love reading and being faithful about doing it-go girl! Seth-praise God you are so amazing at reading-you blow me away! ANd Joshi-praise God and you are an amazing, incredible kindergartner. I praise God and thank Him for each one of you-I am soooo blessed!!