Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Pumpkin Seeds

My favorite part of Halloween is the pumpkin seed baking!!

It seems every year I am trying to find a new and better way to roast these little guys. They turned out great this year. Thought I would share the recipes.

I have made these sweet and spicy ones before and decided to try them again this year. They are really different and yummy.

First you clean off the seeds. I just take out the big chunks of pumpkin and wash the seeds in a colander.

Then spread about a tablespoon of olive oil on a cookie sheet and dry them in the oven flipping every fifteen minutes or so. Just till they are starting to turn brown. I did it at 350 for about a half an hour.

Then take 1 1/2 tbls. oil and put it in a sauce pan. Heat. Add the seeds and 2 tbls of sugar. Cook until the sugar melts. About one minute.

Transfer to a bowl with these spices mixed in it.

3 tbls. sugar
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 ginger
1 pinch cayenne

coat and let cool.

With the seed from our second pumpkin I tried this new salty version. It turned out really good.

Clean the seeds then put them in water. 2 cups of water for every 1/2 cup seeds. Also add 1 tbls. salt for every cup of water. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10 minutes. Drain. Spread a tbls. olive oil on a pan and bake in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes. I was worried the consistence would be weird but they are so good and very salty. Infused with it!!

Happy Halloween!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These all sound incredibly tasty-I love pumpkin seeds!

Anonymous said...

We love pumpkin seeds, but we have some kind of mental block. Every year my husband calls his mom two days before Halloween and asks how to make the seeds. Apparently I am not a reliable source, hmmph.

Why don't we write it down?