Monday, October 8, 2007

Meet Harley

Some may say I am crazy, and maybe it's true, but what can you say when he has birthday money and this is how he wants to spend it?

Seth received money from his Nana and Papa for his birthday and he wanted to invest in a hamster. The problem with this is that I have a huge fear of hamsters, gerbils and lets go ahead and throw mice and rats in that little list. I just don't like to touch them, so much. But, I did have a guinea pig in college and knew they were fun and gentle so I thought I could handle that.

He bought Harley and his cage, food and bedding and is already planning future purchases for his pet with his allowance.

I was really proud of Seth to pick something that lasts. I think sometimes kids, my kids, have a tendency to waste their money on toys and junk that just break and they get bored of it too quickly. Now I am not saying that Harley's newness isn't going to wear out and he may start getting less attention but I am encouraged that Seth picked something he is going to nurture and care for. He knows it is his responsibility and he will have to clean his cage once a week and feed and play with him. And he has accepted that challenge. I know he will do great. All four of the kids love animals and have always done a great job taking care of their dog. They have spoiled her and loved on her to the point that she is such a baby!!

I think a lot of parents shy away from adding pets to their home because they don't want to care for them. But I think that if you do that you are setting that child up to fail. Why not give them the responsibility and hold them to it? Why not encourage them to stand by their commitment and finish what they start? I am excited about Seth's new responsibility and so far he is doing great! I know he will be a great guinea dad!!

Kristen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, Sethie-Harley is beautiful! I agree, I think that children should have animals and be responsible for them-hey and even take them with them when they get married :) Anyway, I think that it teaches everything you said plus gives them an appreciation for God's creation. Love him Sethie!!

Anonymous said...

Nice because guinea pigs eat pellets. I shaved up a carrot over the weekend. Not for our pet, but for our pet's food. Evidently "super worms", that's right, big strong worms with legs, like carrots. You could hear the little plastic container squirming with worms.

This was of course after I had already dusted the... are you ready for this... ROACHES with calcium and fed them to Speedy one at a time. He gobbled them up. Yummy. He likes the worms too, he eats them right out of Bubba's fingers.

Stick with the pig.