Friday, October 19, 2007

Two New Recipes

Tried a new recipe last night. The kids and I had planned on making Lentil soup last night and fig cakes to go along with our unit. I found this recipe and made a few adjustments. I added half of a package of Jimmy Dean Hot sausage (browned), chicken broth instead of water, no vinegar and 1 tsp of cumin. Also as it cooked I had to add about 4 more cups of water to it because it seemed that the liquid boiled out of it. But it was sooo good. The kids all loved it, it is a keeper. When we went to the grocery store they did not have any figs. I went to two stores and gave up. So the fig thing didn't happen. Am I sad?

We also made Challah bread. It was listed under Egyptian food. It was really good and easy to make.

2 cups warm water or milk
2 pkgs dry active yeast
6-7 cups bread flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 t. salt
1/4 cup oil
1 egg

I used my kitchen aid mixer to mix the dough then let it knead it for me for about five minutes. I covered it with a towel and let it sit for about 1 1/2 hours. The kids enjoyed rolling the ropes out and helping to braid them together. Then we just covered it and put it in a 250 degree warmed oven turned off for about 30 minutes. I baked it for 20 minutes at 375 until it was brown. Kind of a sweeter bread but really good. And remember the trick to great bread is great ingredients. Buy good bread flour and I don't mean the stuff at the corner grocery. I have tried it and it is inferior. Sams has a brand called Bakers & Chefs and it is the best! Not expensive and it makes superior bread. I don't know what the difference is but it just works better.

Kristen

No comments: