Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Lewis and Clark 2007

For the last couple of weeks we have been studying Lewis and Clark, Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, and the historical stuff that surrounds them. We found a book at the library called Lewis and Clark on the Trail of Discovery- A Museum in a Book by Rod Gragg. Awesome book!! We have been reading it together and Faith, in her reading time, has been reading My Travels with Capts. Lewis and Clark by George Shannon a novel by Kate McMullan. She loved this book and learned so much about the expedition. I too have learned so much about Lewis and Clark and The Lousiana Purchase. So interesting.

One of the suggestions for the unit is to go on an expedition. So we packed up our nature journals and bags to collect samples just like Lewis and Clark and headed down to the nearest forest preserve. Seth was dissappointed that we drove there, since Lewis and Clark didn't have a car. But when he remembered they did have a boat and they got horses from the Native Americans to cross the Rockies, he was okay with it. So we drove a couple of miles up the road stopped at a forest preserve, that I have driven by a hundred times but never visited, and started our expedition.


It went awesome!! The kids did great drawing and describing what they saw, and collecting samples. Not sure if that is legal in a forest preserve but they only took small leaves not whole plants :)

But the best part was when Mike decided that we should not walk on the asphalt path back to the car but take the "short" way through the forest. I was a little hesitant since I had worn sandals to our hike. But I am so glad we did. It was gorgeous!! And when we were half way back Josh looked up at me and said,"Mommy thank you for taking me to this place, I love it! We get to see stuff and collect stuff and draw stuff...."

The two hours of walking created some sore feet but it was totally worth it. Next time I will wear tennis shoes.

Kristen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to come to your home school-it sounds so much more fun than my school was! What a great way to spend the day-walking through the forest. It doesn't get any better than that!

Anonymous said...

Your kids are learning so much more than they would in a classroom. Plus, you get lots of great family time! Good work.
-Alicia :0)

Anonymous said...

I'm disappointed. I was hoping to see the kids holding up some pelts. Maybe next year.