Monday, April 2, 2007

Our Story

I have to warn you before you begin reading, this is probably going to be long.

I was asked this weekend by a mom considering home schooling about my story. I realized I hadn't really thought much about our story in a while. As I told it I realized how much it had evolved in the past four years.

Mike and I made the decision to school our kids at home mostly because the school district we were in, in N.C. was a mess. Faith was doing so much home work at night in the first grade that a good friend of mine said I may as well pull her out and school her at home since that was basically what i was doing anyways.

I really thought at the time, "You have got to be kidding!! Me home school!! I am not equipped for this! I am not organized, I don't have the skills I need to do this not to mention the patience!" I said I would pray about it but really I had already made up my mind. As the weeks went on I finally thought I would just go ahead and ask the kids what they thought, thinking for sure that they would say no. But to my surprise as I asked them they said,"Yes! Yes! We want to home school!" That totally backfired. So I told God,"Okay I will do this but YOU are going to have to provide EVERYTHING cause I got NOTHING!!!"

So that is exactly what God did. He equipped me. I do not have the skills it takes to do what I am doing. Trust me!! And now even though we are living in the land of great schools I have the privilege of spending every day with my kids, shaping their character and teaching them to be leaders. Not sheltering them from the world. Teaching them how to be loving and kind and encouraging humans. So although our journey started out because of a poor school it has turned into a chance to influence and encourage our children. An opportunity to create disciples. I don't want to step on toes here or sound cliche but you didn't see Jesus sending the disciples to some other teacher, who may not have had the same values or teachings as He, no He spent time with them and encouraged them and taught them. And I know it isn't right for everyone. I can't make choices for other people's families, only my own. And I see lots of moms who can send their kids to school and not loose their influence and that is awesome. But it wasn't working for me. I realize looking back that it wasn't just the sad school that was the problem but also the teacher who didn't have the same values as our family. My little girl was spending a lot of time with this teacher and she was turning into a miniature form of her. It wasn't good.

Okay so much more to say but I am going to leave it here for now.

Kristen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!
As a former public school teacher, I have no desire to send our kids to the public schools near our home. They are a mess! Most schools now are so focused on achievement that the children are barely a secondary concern. It is all about numbers. That doesn't even take into account the theories that are taught as fact in the classrooms. It is nice that you are able to provide your children with such a positive school experience!
-Alicia :0)

Anonymous said...

Honey-you are doing a wonderful job. God is doing amazing things through you, which really shows that nothing is impossible with God. Your childen have benefited so much by having you there teaching them everyday. But, I think that you are an great mother-even if I am a little biased. :)