Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Faith on Reading

One of my biggest challenges in schooling the kids is finding appropriate reading for Faith. She reads so much and so quickly that I have a hard time keeping up with her. For example since we got home from NC (so that is two weeks) she has read, The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken, Heidi by Johanna Spyri, Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry by Mildred Taylor, and A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer.

I actually read Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry for the first time just this last week. What an awesome book. What a shame that it has been taken off reading lists around our country. I loved it.

I can't tell you the joy it brings me to find a book that is part of a series. It gives me at least a couple of weeks rest in my search for suitable reading. Roll of Thunder is the first in a series so YEA!!! And actually so is the wolves book. She loved both books so I am set for a while if I can get the library to get the books. Challenge number two!!

Okay so if you have any books-in-a-series ideas let me know. But before you do she has read all of the Little House series, Artemis Fowl, and Anne of Green Gables. So if you have any other suggestions I would love to have them.

Quick!!!

Kristen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOw does it feel to have a kid that is just like you in that way? She reads like you-devouring the books!

Anonymous said...

Not so good with "girl" series for 5th grade, but Jake has devoured the Alex Rider series and there are at least 5 books!

Kathryn Egly said...

My FAVORITE series when I was her age were:

1. stories from Grandma's Attic (i have a couple here I will give her, i just don't know if I have the FIRST one, and it's fun to start at the beginning)

2. Mandy series. Don't know what it's called but they were Christian based and mysteries. I'll have to see if my mom remembers?!

3. Faith may be a little too young for this but "The Hiding Place" is one of my favorite Books ever.

4. I just finished reading "The Ultimate Gift" and it was really good! She'd like it!

kristen said...

Thanks Kathryn!! I was hoping that all you teachers out there would come up with some great ideas!! Keep them coming!
K.

Anonymous said...

I got nothing. You are inspiring me to figure out books as Maddie learns to read more. I rarely if ever read as a kid unless I had to for school and even then, I faked my way through when I could. So I'll be hunting you down in the next year for YOUR recommendations.