Saturday, March 3, 2007

Week in Review

The kids and I have had a challenging week. Not bad. Just challenging. I don't know if it has anything to do with our new character unit we have started but God is definitely trying to teach us all something. Mike and I have chosen to use Konos character curriculum for the last two years. This curriculum covers everything except math and spelling (and phonics for the little ones). I like it for several reasons but mostly because it hammers a character trait for a 6-8 week period so that everything that we do is centered around that trait. Bible, writing, reading, science, art, history, social studies you get the picture.

Anyways our new unit is on Attentiveness. So this week we focused on the ear. How it works, all the parts and on Monday, which is Mike's day off, he built a huge ear out of things around the house with the kids! They could crawl through it and be inside an ear, they loved it. He also made a soundscope with them so that they could "see" sound moving.

The rest of the week we talked about deafness-learning about Braille, how deafness occurs, and I began reading The Miracle Worker to them. Lots of science experiments on how sound travels and how we hear, the kids love that. I like it too just more planning and work for me but still cool. And then at the end of the week my attentiveness skills were really put to the test when Seth got sick.

And now I think we should all spend some time being attentive to Saturday morning cartoons!!

Kristen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I understand the ear now.
Can I come to your school?