Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Fat Cakes

The one thing you need to understand about my good friend Venessa is she can cook like nobody's business!! I mean really cook. She can cook anything. Well, one of my favorite things that she cooks is called Fet Kook. I am sure I spelled that incorrectly since it is Afrikaans and I don't speak or spell it I am just spelling the way it sounds when she says it to me. It means fat cakes and let me tell you that is exactly what would happen if you ate too many of them. But oh man, do I love them. She makes a bread dough. Delicious. Then she makes little buns and lets them raise. Next she drops them in a pan with hot oil and continually pours the hot oil over the tops of them until they puff up. You turn them once and when they are brown you pull them out and let them cool. But not too much!! They are soooo good hot. She made me some curry to eat on it. And not just any curry but the real deal. Spices from Sri Lanka with meat and veggies, and lentils. Oh my goodness. Then we just cut open the hot cakes and pile it with the curry.

I really have to stop talking about it because my mouth is watering....


She has made this for me many times before but this time was different. I watched this time and she sent me home with spices. If you come to my house you may become a guinea pig.


I will warn you first.

Kristen


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be happy to be a guinea pig-sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

What time would be good for you? Seriously, my mouth WAS watering reading this post.

Glad you're home safe if not sound.